With all the barbecues and graduation parties, not to mention the 4th of July, you might need a great hostess or other gift. Orchids are ideal! Here are some ideas:
- Build-a-Bear Workshop has a black cap and gown with you choice of colored tassels and a sash that says Class of 2010 that you can put on any of their stuffed animals. Seat the huggable on a potted orchid, and maybe you can even wrap the little diploma (carefully!) around the stem. Or buy just the cap and gown, and wrap the gown around the pot and secure the cap to either the potting medium or with a pipe cleaner or other wire to the pot.
- FTD offers the Build-a-Bear con-GRAD-ulations Bear and several orchids, including a Smithsonian designed potted Phalaenopsis orchids. If you can’t be there in person, let FTD send the combo for you.
For Barbecues or Picnics:
- An orchid in a basket of any type is very outdoorsy. 1800orchids has them in Asian style baskets.
- Nothing would be cuter than a picnic basket with a gingham cloth to serve as a picnic blanket or tablecloth, a bottle of wine and an orchid. You could load it up with whatever else you like – cheese and crackers, specialty salamis and spreads, etc.
For a hostess gift:
- It’s fairly easy to pick up an orchid from any store that has plants. (be sure to look for Just Add Ice Orchids!) They can be easily “dressed up” for gift giving by wrapping any gift wrap or fabric around the pot and tying it with a pretty bow! Be sure to tie it around the pot and not the plant, or you might damage it. You can also stick small decorations into the planting medium like flags, pinwheels, swizzle sticks, anything!