Color imparts emotional energy. Reds and oranges are energizing. Yellows and bright pinks make us feel happy. Cool blues and greens have a soothing effect on the human psyche. The psychology of color is used by hospitals, schools, corporations, retailers, interior designers and many others to direct our emotions and affect our mood. How colors make us feel also plays a significant role in our everyday: We employ our own personalized brand of color psychology every time we decide what color to repaint a bedroom, pick out new throw pillows or decide which Just Add Ice Orchid to buy and where in our home to display it.
The Chinese have made use of the emotional power of color for millennia. Color energy is an important consideration in the ancient Chinese art of Feng Shui that uses space, placement and color to balance the flow of energy, or “chi.” Followers of Feng Shui believe that maintaining the proper balance of chi in the home is essential to creating a positive home environment that promotes optimal mental, physical and spiritual well-being.
Feng Shui seeks to balance the energy that flows from five natural elements; keep them in mind when potting and placing your Just Add Ice orchids.
- Earth, which symbolizes the wholeness of life and unity of all things, is represented by the colors yellow, brown and orange.
- Metal represents leadership and the importance of children in the continuance of life and is portrayed by white and the metallic colors gold and silver.
- Water, which is portrayed by the colors blue, purple and black, indicates knowledge, power and the importance of work and career.
- Wood is the symbol of nature, life, family and good health and is embodied in the color green.
- Fire is visualized by the color red, symbolizing passion, wealth and energy.
Next time: Using Just Add Ice Orchids to enhance your home’s Feng Shui
Photo credit: tracie7779